Author Topic: The Consignment Shop in General and its Relation to Experience  (Read 161166 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
To curb some of the questions that are going to come up for various self employment professions, and the consignment shop in general I decided to try to address this.

Right now, the consignment shop is a little buggy. Sometimes even with a very high rank in consignment sales ('skill' challenges completed) you will have a lot of items that never give indication they were sold. This doesn't seem to affect everyone, and only some of the time, but if you wonder what's up, you're not alone.

Also, sometimes consignment sales won't count toward a profession's experience bar. Sometimes, anyway. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. And for me, it's moved a few times, but not others. Especially with bulk sales. That seems to be a problem. Unfortunately, if it's affecting you, you'll need to sell your Sim's items through the inventory screen. I'll update this if a patch addresses these concerns. I think the consignment store is going to be great once things get fixed up.

Offline romagia

• Llama Wrangler
Re: The Consignment Shop in General and its Relation to Experience
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 04:45:33 AM »
Also it seems i can't sell drawings from the architect table thingy >_<

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Crise

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 05:03:07 AM »
Also it seems i can't sell drawings from the architect table thingy >_<

You can sell those by picking them up and then selling from inventory, although they are not really worth anything.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
It depends on the level of skill, I have sketches that were worth over 600, I am not sure if they will ever be as profitable as actual paintings though. 
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 08:53:14 PM »
What kind of workaround are people using? My sculptor has no problem, but my inventor does. I intend for him to continue to work primarily as inventor, but wonder if he should remain "officially self-employed", or just master the skill as unemployed.

I will try selling items singly instead of in batches.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:36:56 PM »
What kind of workaround are people using? My sculptor has no problem, but my inventor does.

Check out my new da Vinci Lifetime Wish article. I mention a few consignment tips I discovered during the process of playing that character. But, one of the big things is to try and go every day to the store and get there by 4 PM. I'm pretty sure things are unloaded on a regular basis around 5 PM.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:12:15 PM »
I have a very basic question about the consignment shop:  how do you sell things there?  I took my sculptor/painter over there but couldn't figure out how to get things out of inventory and on sale in the store.  Also, I tried clicking "buy" on the proprietor but nothing happened.  It looks like there should be some sort of interaction to do with the cash register, but I can't click on it.  It's probably something obvious, but whatever it is, I'm missing it.

Thanks for the help.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 10:14:35 PM »
Metro, I read your great article, and I have a question: did you change your self-employment status each time you changed the skill you were mastering?
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 10:31:31 PM »
I have a very basic question about the consignment shop:  how do you sell things there?  I took my sculptor/painter over there but couldn't figure out how to get things out of inventory and on sale in the store.  Also, I tried clicking "buy" on the proprietor but nothing happened.  It looks like there should be some sort of interaction to do with the cash register, but I can't click on it.  It's probably something obvious, but whatever it is, I'm missing it.

Thanks for the help.

I had to ask the same thing! You can only sell things when the shop is open.  Then click on the register and when the window pops up, there will be a tab for "Consign" like when you have the "Sell" tab at the grocery store.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 10:42:11 PM »
I have been trying to click on the cash register.  But nothing happens!  I don't know what the store hours are meant to be, but if the salesperson is there behind the counter, doesn't that mean the place is open?  It was definitely during "typical" store hours.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 11:13:51 PM »
I have been trying to click on the cash register.  But nothing happens!  I don't know what the store hours are meant to be, but if the salesperson is there behind the counter, doesn't that mean the place is open?  It was definitely during "typical" store hours.

You may be experiencing a bug that I failed to mention in my da Vinci article. One time I went to the consignment store and could not consign anything. I remember it was when I was transitioning between paintings and inventions. So, I still had a few paintings in the store. It was during normal business hours and the cashier was there, but the Buy button never came up. What I had to actually do was cancel all of my existing consignments and then everything became available again and I could consign again. Unquestionably a bug.

@LlamaMama, I changed self-employment status after I maxed each career, not when I maxed the skill.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 12:01:48 AM »
@LlamaMama, I changed self-employment status after I maxed each career, not when I maxed the skill.
Then I'm assuming you did not run into the experience/consignment glitch with any of the three careers. Hm.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 12:18:48 AM »
Then I'm assuming you did not run into the experience/consignment glitch with any of the three careers. Hm.

No, thankfully I was spared that frustration.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 12:32:15 AM »
I think I'll try to switch to another career and then back to self-employed/Inventing to see if it resets. If it's a fairly random bug, then hopefully  once cleared, it might not recur. There's nothing to lose, since I show zero Simoleons progress in the career. I'll let you know tomorrow if it worked.

I'd be interested in whether anyone has tried this with success.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 06:08:08 AM »
Mine does not work at all, with any profession, so I just have gotten use to using buy mode anyway.  I am sure this is on a to do list somewhere for bugs.  I do love the consignment shop concept though.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

anything