Author Topic: Long Loads: How to Shorten Them?  (Read 80916 times)

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
Long Loads: How to Shorten Them?
« on: September 30, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »
Does the number of items and patterns downloaded increase the load time of a particular saved game file? Or does that affect the game loading prior to the Main Menu?

With a generational legacy game, the loading of that save file (newly-named each save) appears to take longer, the more generations I've gotten to.

I'd like to have quicker loads, but don't want to delete a bunch of stuff if that's not going to make a significant impact. Is there some trick, like maybe saving and evicting the household and their house and then re-placing them on the lot that will compress the file size?

Btw, I start the game by bypassing the launcher.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Long Loads: How to Shorten Them?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 09:51:37 PM »
I feel right with you on this one. My Dynasty file takes absolutely forever to save back to the desktop — probably a full minute. And it takes a long time to open as well. Nothing can be done about it I'm guessing. There's just more information that needs to be processed as you get deeper and deeper into generations. Think about everything going on in the neighborhood too — more and more and more Sims are added. All of that needs to be somehow saved.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:14:54 PM »
I thought I'd read that the file size compresses or cleans up by moving them out and back, but I'm afraid of interrupting opportunity chains, relationships, etc.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 01:57:38 AM »
I thought I'd read that the file size compresses or cleans up by moving them out and back, but I'm afraid of interrupting opportunity chains, relationships, etc.

I don't know how true that is, but I wouldn't risk it on my Dynasty file.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 02:06:41 AM »
I think it all depends on how big or long you have had a game, I can tell you that the Characters take forever.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 07:08:09 AM »
I agree, my large game files and especially my dynasty, takes a long time to load and takes a while when I save it.  It took so long the other day to save, I almost paniced. lol
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 05:56:54 AM »
Just another bit of information for everyone...  the larger your game file, the more chance you're going to have the Error 12, 13, or 16 crashes, too.  I've started having them in my Dynasty file now.  I always start getting those errors in files that I've been playing for a long time.  They happen when you try to save and there's nothing to be done about it.  You just have to quit without saving and reload your game.  It's incredibly frustrating, let me tell you!  Be sure to save often so that when it does happen, you won't lose as much of your play time. 

It also seems like the game will crash to desktop more often as the files get bigger.  I've had to replay the last bits of my Dynasty game two, three, or even sometimes four times because of crashes or because the save didn't take. 

Even though we can't prevent these issues, better to know ahead of time that they are likely to happen and try to take precautions with extra saves!  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 06:05:03 AM »
I had that happen last night.  Had played for quite some time and really had not saved it for a while.  I decided to save and left the room, when I came back, it was back to desktop and I lost a couple of sim days, which is not too bad, so just will have to remember to save more often and shut the computer down after a few hours of playing.  I had only been playing for 8 hours yesterday, gee, wonder why it shut down, lol. ;D

I decided to play another game for a while and it did not take that game long to load at all.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 09:23:47 AM »
Does the number of items and patterns downloaded increase the load time of a particular saved game file? I'd like to have quicker loads, but don't want to delete a bunch of stuff if that's not going to make a significant impact.

Yes, my Dynasty takes longer and longer to load.  Going back to LlamaMama's post, would it help to delete some of the unnecessary stuff?  Does anyone know?

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 11:21:57 AM »
Yes, my Dynasty takes longer and longer to load.  Going back to LlamaMama's post, would it help to delete some of the unnecessary stuff?  Does anyone know?

I certainly would think so. The more objects on a lot, the more memory and resources it takes to draw all of those and it would certainly affect save/load times.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 01:20:21 PM »
I'd like to remind people that every time you delete a bunch of stuff, or install a stuff pack or expansion, be sure you clean up your hard drive and defrag. I highly recommend Auslogics BoostSpeed software for superior Windows maintenance and optimization.

Leto85

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 04:01:49 PM »
I'd like to remind people that every time you delete a bunch of stuff, or install a stuff pack or expansion, be sure you clean up your hard drive and defrag. I highly recommend Auslogics BoostSpeed software for superior Windows maintenance and optimization.

Exactly what I use: Auslogic BoostSpeed. Registry Cleanup, disk cleanup, disk defragmentation, it al leads to a perfect working system, softwarematically speaking of course.

Offline Naga

• Top Secret
  • Immortal
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 07:15:08 PM »
I have played the same game file since I got The Sims 3, I have never had any error, and my game only crashed if it was because of a PC overheat.

Don't hate me just yet. There's a drawback.
My game takes literally (and proved) 10 minutes to load from the main menu to the game, and 10-15 minutes to "save and quit".

Offline Beddy_Boop

• Townie
  • Concerto No. 2 (3rd Movement) - F. Seitz
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 08:49:17 PM »
Is this free? Will you ever have to pay for it? It usually takes about 5-10 minutes for the main menu to the in-game to load.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 09:10:22 PM »
Is this free? Will you ever have to pay for it? It usually takes about 5-10 minutes for the main menu to the in-game to load.

You can get a 14 day free trial, but after that it's around US$50.00 to purchase it.  I'm giving serious thought to buying it.  From what I read on their site, it does a lot more than I'm able to do on my own.  It might be worth it.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

anything