Author Topic: Bookcase Bonanza! (A Beneficial Bug)  (Read 3828 times)

Offline Gheez

• ( 'guh ease' )
  • Immortal
Bookcase Bonanza! (A Beneficial Bug)
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:47:33 PM »
I thought that my blacksmith deserved a few new decorations; after buying him a new bed, I treated him to a new bookcase.  In Buy Mode, I tried a few options and finally decided that the Scholar's bookcase would be a good choice as it could also act as a room divider & slightly hide his potty and wash basin from view.

Imagine my surprise when, back in Game/Live Mode, I checked his inventory.  He had 72 books!  Admittedly, two of them he'd had before, but the other 70 are a surprise.  They're not all the same book, the number of copies of different books vary from 1 to 4... I suppose I ought to go and write down some of the titles as maybe it would be useful info for Carl's Guide?  (Please let me know if you want a list of names.)

I'm going to add a bookcase when I play another Hero - just to see if it happens again.  I'll get back to you on that.  ;D

LATER:

Just finished my Blacksmith's Quest and have tested with my Monarch.  If you go into Buy Mode and buy a bookcase and place it, then change your mind, sell it back, then buy another and place (however many times that might be - which might be lots - if you're a dithering decorator like me :P).  When you finally return to Live Mode, your Hero's inventory will be full of books, which can be sold or given away. 

Offline Jancy

• Occult
Re: Bookcase Bonanza! (A Beneficial Bug)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 06:11:07 PM »
Gheez how clever of you! Going to give it a try and I'll post back with the results.
Thanks for the tip

edit:  Works as stated - I wondered where I got those books I had in my inventory, now I know!
Thanks Again

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 10:00:41 PM »
Still another way to make simoles!  Brilliant Gheez.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 10:15:46 PM »
I noticed the same thing in my hero's inventory.  I didn't really think too much about how they got there, but that is interesting.  They don't sell for much, mine only had like 20 or so, but 70, wow, that is alot of books.  Must me a small glitch somewhere.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

mccoymk

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 11:04:32 PM »
Thanks for this, I tried it and it worked! I needed it too, as my sim was fairly broke after a bed upgrade.

Offline MrGabic

• Llama Wrangler
  • Music is freedom
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:03:59 AM »
Great discovery but this could also be called cheating and for that I think I shall hold myself for doing that.  :D Joking, good job Gheez my Savior.  :)
" Caam paruu caam ... paruuu
  Caam paruu uveel uveel" :)

Music sustains the game and life

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 03:49:06 PM »
Whew, that is quite the little bug. But, I don't really need a book list I think. I still never did that for The Sims 3, even. They seem to make less of an impact here. Let me know if there are any recipes (blacksmithing, cooking, brewing) of any kind in your inventory thanks to this trick?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Kai Heilos

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:11:39 PM »
There's 40 books available that I've seen so far. Four recipe books from the village/forest encounters, two of which are available from the village shoppe also. An ale recipe book which is availble from the village shoppe only and 35 books available from the bookcases.

Carl, if you saved the link I sent you via PM, it was updated this morning and now contains the names of the 36 books that are not recipes.

Edit: The bug works because when you buy a bookcase, it provides you with free books, then when you sell a bookcase it removes all books from it to your inventory so you don't accidentally sell books you want. EA didn't add the price of the free books to the case so repeatedly buying and selling provides unlimited free books :)

I think the same thing occured in TS3, but I haven't played in a while so I could be remembering inacurrately.

I purchased 4 of each bookcase and sold them all to make sure I had all the books. Unless there is quest specific books I think there are only the 40 books I found.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 07:34:17 PM »
Wow. This is great find. One thing I was telling Carl about the other day that makes Medieval tougher than TS3 at the outset is lack of funds. All I want to do is be able to get a Hero the nicest single bed ($1800) right on day 1, and I don't want to kaching to do it. So, this is a nice little trick.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »
If you did do a book list, could you post it here anyway, or email me? I never found an adequate sims 3 booklist either, but I get right down to the details in my game, especially for a legacy. Knowing how many pages a book is, determining how long the book takes to read is good for fulfilling wishes quickly, and with Medieval still very new, it's good to know what each book does for the game.

Cheers :)